Some links to credit cards and other products may earn a referral commission. Furthermore, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For full advertising disclosure, click here.
I have been a United Airlines MileagePlus Explorer cardholder for a very long time, seven years to be exact. The card used to be #1 in my wallet until I became Chase Sapphire Preferred and American Express cardholder. The MileagePlus Explorer card benefits will have some changes beginning June 1, 2018. I will list the current benefits and then the updated benefits.
- Free first checked bag
- Priority Boarding
- No foreign transactions fees
- 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases
- 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Access to more award space
(no longer available): 10,000 bonus miles after spending $25,000 each calendar year
***the same benefits as above, and:
- 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants
- 2 miles per $1 spent at hotels
- 25% statement credit on purchases (Wi-Fi, food, and beverages) on United flights and paid with the card
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit (up to $100)
- Trip cancellation/interruption insurance reimbursement of up to $1,500 on nonrefundable fares
The updated benefits give cardholders a few more options to earn redeemable miles. The one that might be most beneficial to me is the 25% statement credit on purchases onboard United flights…after I spend my American Express airline credit.