I made the decision late last year to reduce ties with my favorite airline loyalty program, United Airlines’ Mileage Plus. The airline and its partners were my first choice when booking flights throughout the world. Due to some delays and missed flights, I chose to give other domestic carriers a try.
The “trying” of other carriers led me to taking some flights on Delta Airlines and quite a few on American Airlines (SPS-DFW, DFW-TPA, and DFW-PHL). These flight have mostly been in economy due to my lack of status. The economy service has not been too bad because the flights have been three hours or less.
I am currently on the east coast for work and, you guessed it, flew aboard American Airlines to get here. While checking in for my flight tomorrow, I realized that I met the requirements for American Airlines Gold status. The requirements were 25,000 Elite Qualifying Miles and 30 segments or $3,000 Elite Qualifying Dollars. Gold is the lowest elite status, but it does offer some benefits. Some of which I will outline below:
- Complimentary upgrades on flights of 500 miles or less
- Upgrades on flights over 500 miles, if using 500 mile upgrade certificates (certificates can be purchased for $40 USD or earned every 12,500 miles after achieving status)
- Upgrade one companion traveling on same itinerary with 500 mile certificates
- 40% elite mileage bonus
- Priority at airport
- First checked bag free (does not apply to military personnel)
- Complimentary same day standby
- Discounted Admirals Club Benefits
- Exclusive service desk
- Complimentary preferred seats
- Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats
- Waived award processing charge
- Special discounts on hotel and car awards
- Oneworld priority check-in and standby
The benefits are ok. I appreciate the complimentary upgrades and elite mileage bonus. The benefits will get better if I continue to progress through the American Airlines’ elite statuses. At the very least, I have the status through January 2021.
How do you feel about American Airlines Gold elite benefits?